-Book review column inches in newspapers have dropped by 20 to 50 percent.
- Women buy 68 percent of all books sold.
- Most readers do not get past page 18 in a book they have purchased.
- 52 percent of all books are not sold in bookstores!
- The industry return rate [from bookstores] is typically 36 percent for hardcovers and 25 percent for softcovers.
- It takes an average of 475 hours to write a novel.
- Fiction is considered successful if it sells 5,000 copies.
- Writing a nonfiction book requires about 725 hours.
- A nonfiction book is deemed successful when it reaches 7,500 copies sold.
Fun book "facts"
Some undated, unsourced book facts from a blog not known to me: