1/23/2007

Civil War magazines

I have always been against them; it's a stubborn prejudice. Today, I found a few phrases written by blogger Gagdad Bob that explain my thinking to a tee:
A magazine such as Psychology Today represents stupidity squared, because it mostly boils down the nonsense of academia for a semi-literate audience ...
Obviously, I like a lot of "nonsense of academia." The situation in Civil War publishing is a little different on other counts as well. My case might read as:
A magazine such as [Civil War whatever] represents stupidity squared, because it mostly boils down the nonsense of [pop history] to an even grosser level of simplification ...
Perhaps I am letting my feelings run wild. We all know some mags, like North and South, try to fill a gap in scholarly publishing. Nevertheless, I can't pick up one of these magazines without the irritation immediately outweighing any potential pleasure. So I no longer ever pick them up.

Apologies to our readers who enjoy these periodicals. If you get a moment, tell us why and how. I promise not to quibble.