1/11/2011

The "madness" of G.W. Smith, cont.

The question arises whether Davis knew he was employing a relapsing paralytic. The answer is in Jefferson Davis's papers:
Private
Nashville Tennessee, September 3rd. 1861

My Dear Sir,

I write to inform you that I arrived at this place last night from Lexington Ky. by private conveyance. I have resigned my appointment as Street Commissioner of the City of New York to take effect on the 8th. of this month. My object in fixing that day was to give time to Capt. Mansfield Lovell to get here before the fact of my resignation is known. [Lovell was Smith's deputy in NYC.] My wife is in Ky. and will join me here in a few days. I have left the North for the purpose of connecting myself with the South and sharing her destiny - On and after the 8th. of this month I shall be entirely free from all trammels, and will take an early opportunity to offer my services to the Confederate States in whatever capacity or position they may be most useful. I am glad to be able to say that I have entirely and perfectly recovered from my recent illness, at one time it was feared that perfect recovery would not take place for a year, if ever. But thank God I am now "all right."

The guns at Sumter would have brought me South at once if I had been in condition to do anything -

Please present my respectful compliments to Mrs. Davis and accept assurances of regards friendship and admiration for yourself from Yours Very Truly,

G W Smith

I have no doubt that Mansfield Lovell will be here in a short time. He has been like a caged lion.
Smith marked this letter in 1865 saying actually his acquaintance with Davis antebellum was "very slight." The editor of these papers notes that Smith had learned of federal arrest orders while on his way to Hot Springs, AR, for treatment of his paralysis.

It is interesting that Smith was a combat commander again within six months of Seven Pines.